2.25.2010

Back on the Bandwagon

I only blogged once after we found out I was pregnant. I'm really regretting that now; I had so many adventures, and now they are just memories, growing foggier by the minute. I was so tired that blogging just didn't occur to me. I'm going to get back into the habit now. I really miss the writing. Plus, when you are blogging, you start looking at your life differently, paying more attention to details that would make for a humorous story.

My Cole is 3 months old now. Those first couple of months were such a blur, I barely remember him as a newly-born newborn. I always thought that the actual delivery was the hard part; being a mom just comes naturally. I was definitely proved wrong. I cried every day for 6 weeks; The light at the end of the tunnel was off. All I could see was hours and hours of a crying child who constantly wanted to eat. I was too tired to sleep, too sore to move. Getting out of the house was a dream too far away to be realized...

As Cole got older, I learned his cries. Now, when someone tells me, "He's hungry dear, you need to feed him" I know if they are right, or if I need to just pretend they are right, so as to not hurt their feelings. Because I know Cole's hungry cry. I also know that when he is fussing and rubbing his eyes, he's sleepy. When he has a finger (or 3) in his mouth and is chewing on them, he's teething. I know when he needs to be put down to play by himself, and I know when he is crying just for the attention. I know that, while a dirty diaper doesn't usually bother him, a sure-fire way to make him laugh is to change him. And, finally, I know that when he smiles at me, he's seeing Me, Superwoman, Mother Extraordinaire, Supplier of Milk, and the One who is always There. I like my role.

2 comments:

Delores said...

Absolutely delightful to read!

Steph said...

So glad to read this! :)

The first few months are hard. I won't say that the rest is easier, but maybe it's more that you realize that if you survived those first few months that you can rise to the challenge of the rest. :)

And blogging definitely does make you look for the humorous details that make great stories. Some of the simplest things turn into great blogging moments for me just because they make me laugh so I'm sure that they can make someone else laugh too. Glad you're blogging again!