9.24.2008

Alecia at the Ritz

There is a children's book out called "Eloise at the Plaza". It is about a little girl who lives at the Plaza and pretty much treats the posh hotel as her oyster. I was reminded of this book several times last week as I was working a function at the Ritz-Carlton in downtown DC. A friend of a friend hired me to help with registration/etc. at the National Generical Pharmaceutical Association Convention. I had never been in a situation where formality was the order of the day and really had to focus on being professional at all times. It was really delightful, yet scary! I pulled it off pretty well, but if you know me at all, you know that I would never win a "most formal" award. Ever. Anyways, this place was amazing! The staircase that you used to get to the ballroom level (where the conference was occuring) was straight out of Cinderella. 20 feet wide, sweeping around, with a grand piano at its foot. The breakfast spread had everything you could want, including fresh squeezed orange juice (I made myself sick on that stuff). The marble-tiled bathrooms had linens, not paper towels, that you threw into a discreet bin whenever you were done with it. The stalls were more like rooms, with solid walls and doors that went from floor to ceiling. There were chandeliers everywhere and hotel staff everywhere, to assist wherever needed. For lunch we were stuck at the Registration Table, so the staff brought lunch to us, serving us with crystal, china, and silver. They brought each entree separately and whisked our plates away as soon as we were finished. Most of all, though, it was exciting being behind-the-scenes. Making sure everything was going just right, that there were enough pamphlets out, that lunch wasn't served before we were ready for it, that no one upset the higher-ups or the speakers. One of my duties was to hold the microphone during question/answer times after each speech. This means I had to sit in on each speech, even though I had little concept of what was being discussed. However, I did get to hear several interesting speakers. I was able to hear Nathan Deal, a Representative from Georgia, plus Dora Hughes and Douglas Holtz-Eakin speak. Hughes and Holtz-Eakins are the senior Health Care Advisors for Obama and McCain, respectively. It was exciting to hear these speakers, not because their topics were so interesting, but because in college I had to dissect many speeches and distinguish between what made a good/bad speaker. Hughes, for example, was very knowledgeable. I actually got some background information on her, because I had a long conversation with one of her advisors. He (the advisor) actually got his Marriage and Family Therapy degree from ACU and teaches at Minnesota University. It was so random that I struck up a conversation with an ACU alum. Small world, no doubt. Anyways, Hughes is, like I said, knowledgeable. However, her speaking style really needs work. She spoke very fast in a very calm voice and did not ennunciate very well. I found myself leaning forward frequently, trying to make out what she was saying. Very distracting. The other speeches were good, some more engaging than others, but hers really stood out as the one that needed work.



Friday I was done by 12:00, so I took the metro around to a couple different places in DC, waiting for Lee to be off work. I went to Union Station, which kind of looks like an art gallery, with all its marblenicity and statues. Then I went to Urban Outfitters in China Town, and bought 2 scarves. Then I went to the Starbucks outside of Lee's work and met him at 5ish. I talked to my mom while I was waiting. She told me a story about how my 2 year old nephew was scared to death of all the Halloween stuff at Home Depot, and when asked if he wants to go see it all, his little lip just starts trembling and he says, "Outside, mommy!". I really miss that smart little boy. I know I didn't get to see him a ton even when we lived in TX, but now I am REALLY missing some very cool growing stages. Oh well. I'll just have to have my own, I guess (Not now, though. Seriously. No rumors of any sort. Lee would faint). Anyways, we went to a pretty good Mexican place for dinner, then went home. We talked about doing something else, but I was kind of tired of being around people, after my excursions around DC.

Saturday we went house-hunting. We are being very stubborn, because we want a single-family home, and it is not easy to find one in our price range. But we have time to wait, and God will provide. Or, convince us to pursue other types of living arrangements. We just really got used to having our own space in Fort Stockton, and now it is hard to imagine sharing walls with anyone ever again. We'll see what God has in store! I imagine we will look again this weekend. Oh, for lunch that day we treated ourselves to Calzones from this amazing place in Sterling. the bread is all homemade, and it must be the same recipe my mom uses, because it so reminds me of her wonderful cooking. That's why I love it so much, I think.

Sunday was really hot. But we played tennis in the afternoon, after church and lunch with friends. We've playing tennis a lot lately. It is safer than riding bikes, and it's hard to get lost when you stay on the tennis court. However, there is something dead in the woods and it really makes good "tennis focus" difficult. We went to Small group that night and had a great discussion on our views of what a "Christian community" should look like and what it is for. This will continue for some weeks to come. We also got to watch the Cowboys game. I think being up here has made me a stronger fan. Like, if I don't represent them up here, no one will? Which is a fallacy, because there are tons of fans up here...but still, I am really into the games this year.

Monday, I got to hang out with some friends. We went shopping, had lunch, and saw "The Women". The movie was really pretty good. I liked the way the characters were portrayed...very noble, yet with flaws. Monday night I went to the Alanis concert!!! It was so great! She opened with "Uninvited" and I so got chill bumps. Whether or not you like her music, you would have been impressed that live she sounds exactly like her recordings. Just pitch perfect and everything. It was a long day, but such a blessing to be able to be with friends!

Tuesday I just hung out at the house. I did SOME cleaning, but not as much as I should have. Oh, but I did go to Safeway and got complimented on my smile. Twice! It's great to know how powerful a smile can be, even up here. We played tennis in the eve and I lost. But, the stench from the unknown animal was even more powerful, therefore my playing was not up to par. Lee, of course, cannot breathe through his nose, therefore the smell did not affect him. Lucky! I asked him if it was wierd that I had this overwhelming urge to go find the animal, just to see what it was. He said it was. Therefore, I didn't go find it. But I am curious, you know? I mean, it could be something really cool, like a bear. Doubtful, but still.

Wednesday I worked for an architecture firm, answering phones. I had to page people a lot, too, which was scary, since everyone could hear my little voice over the intercom. One guy told me that I didn't look like someone who needed to temp. I thought that was a great compliment. And its true. The other temps that I have met are fresh out of college and have a bit of a clueless vibe. I, on the other hand, can act like I know exactly what to do, even if I don't. Being a drama teacher had its advantages, I am learning.

Today, tomorrow, and Monday, I am doing random things for a Title company. The girl here is really stressed so I am just being her right-hand. Except I screwed up the coffee making. I poured in the water without the filter being in, so water just started spewing everywhere. Then, I shoved the filter in, but forgot to put coffee in it, so it was still just water. THEN, I opened the single coffee package and grounds flew everywhere. It was such an "I Love Lucy" moment, and I was moved to another task. :) Boo, coffee.

Good weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

Mike said...

I am really wondering how many people I knew were at Alanis Monday night. I was there as well with a friend of mine, managed to get 10.73 tickets a few days before. I had seen Alanis the 1st year she was on tour at Nissan Pavilion, and missed her the last time she came to DC due to a death in the family, although I had tickets for it. The seats we had were pretty good, in a corner, but very close to an entrance to get into the respective section. I thought Alanis put on an OK show, some of the words you couldn't hear as well. I was bored with the opening act, and had no clue there would be one.

Mike said...

I am really wondering how many people I knew were at Alanis Monday night. I was there as well with a friend of mine, managed to get 10.73 tickets a few days before. I had seen Alanis the 1st year she was on tour at Nissan Pavilion, and missed her the last time she came to DC due to a death in the family, although I had tickets for it. The seats we had were pretty good, in a corner, but very close to an entrance to get into the respective section. I thought Alanis put on an OK show, some of the words you couldn't hear as well. I was bored with the opening act, and had no clue there would be one.