8.09.2008

Atlantic City

July 30th was our anniversary. 3 years already, married and still happy. After our honeymoon was such a huge adventure, we decided that we'd go on a road trip every year to celebrate our marital bliss. The first year we relaxed at a bed and breakfast in San Antonio, walking the riverwalk and enjoying the culture. The 2nd year we went to Tulsa and saw an awesome concert with 3rd Eye Blind, Counting Crows, and Collective Soul, all bands from our high school years. Then we went to Dallas and played around at Six Flags. This year, we headed to the glitzy east shore getaway, Atlantic City. We stayed at a hotel so new it was having its grand opening the following weekend. We had a new bed with lots of white, fluffy pillows, glass walk-in shower, and valet parking. Lee was very uncomfortable having people catering to our needs. He asked a maid where the ice machine was, and she told us to call the front desk and they'd bring ice to our room. I thought, "Wow.". Lee went ahead and found the floor it was on and got the ice himself. He went to get my cell phone from the car and the valet walked him to the car, then gave him the keys and stepped away, to "give him privacy". Lee thought this was wierd. There was a complimentary "rolling chair"


that was pushed by a young girl from Slovakia. Lee was uncomfortable with this, especially, because he thought it made him look like a jerk, having this tiny woman pushing him around. But we tipped her well, to make up for it. The thing with the rolling chairs is that they are everywhere, but it's so expensive to use them! $5 for 5 blocks. So having a complimentary one was a great amenity to have. The above picture, is not us. But maybe someday, it will be.


We spent all day on the beach, and it was so perfect that I miss it terribly. The water was very cool, but you got used to it, and I loved the shock of jumping in the waves, never knowing exactly how they would break around my body. The hotel provided towels, umbrellas, and lounge chairs. It's the closest thing to a resort that we've done and I recommend a day at the beach to anyone. Here's pics of us at the beach. Not the best pictures, but they are the only ones that we took of the beach.


I got Lee to try seafood. He had crab chowder at this fancy little seafood restaurant. The waitress glared at him when that was all that he ordered, but the only other non-sea item was a $60 steak, and Lee couldn't justify that. He says that he'd eat it again, if he had to. Oh wait, he says that he would totally choose crab over green leafy vegetables and/or death. So there. I think he's definitely a fan of the sea. Below is a picture of the boardwalk at night.


We totally wanted to "Rock the Casbah", but it was closed.

We also went to Pennsylvania to see our friends, Chris and Merry Clark. They took us to Valley Forge, where Washington waited out a winter during the war. It was really neat, but I was ready to come home. Plus, it wasn't a beach. I might have an aversion to being underwater, but man, I do love being near it.

In other random news,

  • Lee just put a twist tie between his upper lip and his nose, and said "Kiss me with my twist-tie mustache." Ew.
  • Sharon, my dear mother-in-law, sent me a recipe for a chicken rub that has cayenne pepper and cocoa powder. It was so hot and chalky we had to rinse the cooked chicken before we could eat it. She claims that I should have known better than to cook something with "holy-moly" in the title. I say, it had chocolate. How could I NOT try it?
  • My sister, Rozanna, has a job interview with a guy that we knew growing up. You never know when your past is going to participate in your future.
  • Yesterday we saw the Dark Knight and it was soooo good. I plan on being the "nurse Joker" for Halloween. If you haven't seen it yet, you must make plans to do so.
  • Brett Favre is going to be a Jet. Crazy, or brilliant? I don't know. But he definitely is on the "Most Handsome Quarterback" list. Behind Troy, of course.
  • We went to an "ice cream social", and I was the only one who brought homemade ice cream. Honestly, the host of the party provided the rest of it, all store bought. Which is fine, but down in Texas, you don't have an "ice cream social" without homemade ice cream. Plus, the people in the group from New York and Pennsylvania grew up not knowing that making your own ice cream was even possible. God has definitely blessed Texas, above and beyond the rest of his creation. My ice cream was marshmallow fudge, by the way, and it was pretty awesome.

Well, it's 2:20 and I should accomplish something today that doesn't involve me sitting in front of the computer. Later!

No comments: