8.27.2008

People Watch 8.27.08

Today I have encountered several characters. These people have enriched my life just a bit further today, and here are those stories.

The guy that interviewed me today is from Jamaica. The interview went well and I think I have a shot. Plus, the company uses people of Afghan/Iraqi descent to go into domestic military areas and train the army, etc. on how to interact with these cultures without insulting them. International Communications was a class that really interested me in college, and it was exciting to have the possibility of working in this area further. However, one of the things that I liked most about my potential boss is that he said that occasionally he takes all his fulltime staff on trips, just to hang out and relax. And I'm not talking a field trip to DC, either. The places he mentioned going previously are Jamaica and Las Vegas. I know its shallow, but it is definitely a selling point for this job.

At the grocery store the lady checking me out was struggling with putting my paper towels into bags and I accidentally laughed out loud. She looked at me and smiled, then said, " Laughter is so good for the soul!" And proceeded to tell me how good it is to laugh. I was just relieved she didn't take offense at my laughter and break my eggs.

When I was putting my stuff in the car I struggled a little with a heavier bag (once again I remembered to bring my own bags... Eco-Alecia to the rescue, once again!). This man walking by stopped and loaded up the rest of the car for me, just because he thought I needed some help. I was floored at how nice some people can be. He then took my cart and put it away for me. He put a big smile on my face, and I passed it on to the Starbucks dude when I went through the drivethru.

And finally, it was a wonderful 75 degrees here today, so I was driving around with my windows down. At a light, this car full of guys pulled up and started talking to me. Don't worry, all you mothering creatures out there, I had the doors locked and my finger on the window "up" button, just in case the conversation got out of hand. It was kind of flattering, yet unnerving, but when they asked what I was doing later today, I told them I was making dinner for my 3 kids and husband. They stopped talking to me after that.

Peace!

No comments: